Hethersett Athletic Boys Under-15s Season 2002-2003 Norfolk Youth Combination


Sep 15th Away Hellesdon League Lost 2-3 Kerr, own goal
Sep 22nd Home Sprowston League Lost 2-4 Leng, L. Allen
Sep 29th Away Firside League won 4-3 Ledain, L. Allen 2, Downs
Oct 13th Away Sheringham League drew 2-2 Allen 2
Oct 20th Home Acle LCup won 6-2 Allen 2, Downs 2, Smith, Dodds
Nov 3rd Home Dereham League won 8-1 Allen 4, Smith, Kerr, Downs, Ledain
Nov 10th Home Spixworth League lost 0-1  
Nov 17th Away Poringland L.Cup won 2-0 Allen 2
Nov 24th Home The Woottons C. Cup lost 3-4 Allen 2, Double
Dec 1st Home Thorpe League won 10-0 Allen 3, Smith 2, Downs 2, Ledain 2, Kerr
Dec 8th Away Lakeford League Lost 1-4 Allen
Dec 15th Home Hellesdon League Lost 0-7  
Jan 19th Away Poringland League Won 5-1 Allen 2, Pegg 2, Kerr
Feb 9th Away Dereham League Won 6-0 Downs 2, Allen, Smith, Pegg, Double
Feb 16th Home Scole L. Cup Won 1-0 Pegg
Feb 23rd Home Old Catton League Lost 1-3 Allen
Mar 2nd Away Thorpe League Won 3-0 Paice, Smith, Allen
Mar 9th Home Lakeford League Drew 1-1 Allen
Mar 16th Home Lakeford Cup SF Won 2-0 Allen 2
Mar 23rd Away Spixworth League Lost 1-3 Wright
Apr 6th Home Firside League Drew 1-1 Allen
Apr 13th Away Old Catton League Lost 1-2 Allen
Apr 27th Home Sheringham League Won 3-1 Pegg, Kerr, Wright
May 4th Away Sprowston League Lost 2-3 Paice, Wright
May 5th Home Poringland League Won 3-2 Downs 2, Allen
May 11th Away Spixworth Cup F Lost 1-2 Double (after extra time)


  App Goals
Allen Lewis 13 21
Smith Leigh 13 4
Rainsford Tom 13  
Wright Lindsey 13  
Ledain Billy 13 4
Kerr Chris 12 4
Downs Tim 12 6
Ramsbottom David 12  
Double Tom 12 1
Mills Karl 11  
Coult Philip 10  
Paice Adam 9  
Leinster Ben 8  
Webb Calum 8  
Dodds Oliver 6 1
Pegg Tom 6 2
Leng Edward 5 1
Own Goals   1

MATCH REPORTS by team manager Mark Kerr

Sunday September 22nd: Hethersett 2 Sprowston 4

Hethersett played hosts to Sprowston in their first home game of the season.

Both teams were determined to make a good start, and within 10 minutes Sprowston were awarded a penalty. The Sprowston goalkeeper choose to take the penalty which was superbly saved by Hethersett goalkeeper Tom Rainsford.

With the ball still in play Hethersett cleared their penalty area and the ball was passed upfield to Ed Leng who was able to put it straight into an empty net.

Lewis Allen added a second and Hethersett had the feeling that things were going to go their way. Credit to Sprowston as they continued to attack and were awarded another penalty, this time no mistake. Sprowston scored again making it 2-2 at half time.

The teams were evenly matched and Sprowston kept up the pressure scoring from a corner and again from open play. From what seemed to be a good start for Hethersett they were now two goals behind. Hethersett continued to fight back with Tim Downs and Lewis Allen both coming close to scoring. Luck had run out for Hethersett. A good competitive game played in the right spirit.

Sunday September 29th: Firside V Hethersett Athletic Under 15.
Hetherset were looking for their first win of the season, and  it took 15 minutes before they scored the first goal. After a long spell of attacking play Billy Ledain opened the scoring, latching onto a pass from Lewis Allen. Lewis Allen added a second to take the score at half time to 2-0 in Hethersett's favour.
Firside attacked straight from the kick off and rattled the upright with a fine shot. This should have been a warning to Hethersett.  Continued pressure by Hethersett brought about another goal by Lewis Allen. Hethersett could have gone further into the lead after being awarded a penalty, unfortunately the shot hit the crossbar.
To their credit Firside never gave up and pulled two goals back within 10 minutes. It was turning out to be a very close game, a lot of close play in midfield. Tim Downs added a fourth goal and again Firside managed to pull another back. This led to a desperate last five minutes with the Hethersett defence of Tom Double, Karl Mills, Phil Coult and goalkeeper Tom Rainsford working hard to ensure that Hethersett were  the winners. Credit to Firside for making it a good game. Hethersett were happy to get their first victory of the season.

Sunday February 16th Hethersett Athletic Under-15s 1  Scole   0

Hethersett and Scole provided an excellent advertisement for youth soccer in a League Cup quarter-final which was decided by a Tom Pegg goal just one minute into the second half.

This match may not have had many goals, but it had two teams determined to play open football in the best possible way. It was a sporting contest with both sides showing determination and skill.

There were plenty of chances for both sides with the woodwork being rattled more than once. Playing down the slope in the first half, Hethersett struggled at times to stamp their authority on the game. After the break, however, they looked the better of the two sides and Scole were reduced to an occasional foray into the home side's penalty area.

The only goal of the game came just after the break when a shot was charged down and the loose ball fell to Pegg who made no mistake with an angled drive into the bottom corner. The photographs below show just two of the second half Hethersett attacks.